Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Recipes Galore

I am home for Spring Break this week and am trying to pump out as many recipes as I can at home with the help of my mom and sister! So far we've done four in two days. 


Frikadeller: Danish Meatballs. My first time making meatballs from scratch and they actually turned out not only edible but good! We were surprised or I was surprised to discover they tasted like real meatballs. This recipe is from a boy and girl from Copenhagen, Denmark. The recipe calls for pork and veal, but I opted out of veal and just used pork. I've given up red meat in my life and decided baby cow did not sound all that appetizing. 

Crema de Fruita, Filipino Fruit Cake: A girl from the Philippines gave me a recipe for Mango fruit cake using graham crackers, fresh mangos, condensed milk and cream. Once you make the cake you put it in the freezer and chill it overnight. I made it yesterday and we had it for dessert tonight. It was amazing!! Such a simple recipe too. 


Japanese Curry: Tonight I made curry Japanese style with potatoes, carrots, onions and chicken. It called for pork but we had enough pork last night in our meatballs so we decided to switch it up with some chicken. We found curry roux at the Grocery store. It's the brown sauce, but we discovered that it comes in a solid block similar to that of a chocolate bar. You break it up just like chocolate as well and put it in the simmering veggies and meat. It then turns into liquid and voila you have flavored curry. To be on the safe side we chose mild curry roux and it turned out great. 


Chinese Pearl Balls: So I cheated a little bit on this one. Being one who doesn't necessarily love meat I was a little tired of making meaty recipes. These Pearl Balls are technically filled with pork but you really can't even see it once you cover the pork with rice. So we improvised cutting out the pork process and making solid rice balls. Since the project is focused on design and the process of gathering recipes rather than the cooking itself I feel justified in my improvisation. :)
 

I have about five more recipes to make during Spring break then the rest I'll make back at school. After this I'm sure both Mom and I will enjoying not making the trip to the Grocery Store daily...so far we've been to Costco, Trade Joe's, QFC, PCC & Safeway in two days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment