Thursday, April 1, 2010

Horseback riding and Tulip Fields





This morning I ventured about an hour north to Katie's ranch/farm in Arlington. At PLU she lives in the duplex connected to mine and will be moving in with Kristen and I in June! Katie invited me to go horseback riding with her parents for the day. I had such a fun time. I helped load all the saddles, bridles and blankets into their huge horse trailer and then brushed and cleaned the hooves of the horses to get them ready for riding. After a brief test ride in their arena to see if I felt comfortable with Chad (Katie's Dad's horse--the calmest one) we loaded the horses in the trailer and drove to the trailhead. We went riding for a little bit, some sunshine, some rain. It was fun, I haven't been riding since my camp days at Wilderness Ranch in Canada. It can definitely make you a tad envious of children who grew up on ranches. 


After riding and unloading the horse we drove to the Tulip Fields which are beautifully in bloom this time of year. Being a week day and slightly drizzly we were pleased the find the fields fairly vacant, minus the workers picking tulips. I've never seen that aspect and it was a little strange to see these migrant workers working while we're admiring the tulips. I almost felt bad like I should start picking and stop admiring. We each bought a batch of tulips and headed down the road to a little ice cream market where they make their own waffle cones. Despite the fact that it was windy and freezing we still got ice cream and hurried back to the car to eat it in warmth.  


Overall a very fun day up North :)

No comments:

Post a Comment